Sunday, September 2, 2012

White Rolls

White Rolls
I have been making these White Rolls for quite a few years now.  The recipe comes right out of my KitchenAid recipe book and is called Basic White Bread.  I always make it into rolls.  Large rolls for hamburgers or sloppy joes.  Small rolls to go with soup.  Long, skinny rolls for hot dog buns.

Basic White Bread
Courtesy of KitchenAid

1/2 c. low fat milk
3 T. Butter
3 T. sugar
2 t. salt

Combine in small saucepan.  Stir over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.

1/2 c. warm water
2 packets dry active yeast

Combine in mixing bowl for 5 minutes.

5-6 cups of all purpose flour

Add 4 1/2 cups flour to water/yeast mixture, then add
milk mixure.  Using dough hook on slow speed,  combine all ingredients.  Add flour in 1/4 c. increments until dough is slightly sticky and forms a ball.  Knead for 5 minutes in mixer.  Turn dough out into an oiled bowl, turning over so that the top is greased.  Cover and let rise for an hour or until doubled in bulk.
Form dough into rolls, cover, and let rise for 30 min to 1 hour, until doubled.  Bake at 400 F degrees for 10-15 minutes or until rolls are nicely browned and cooked through.  Use a cold stick of butter to rub on top of the hot rolls to coat them.

This was one of my entries into the LA County Fair.  They are pretty basic and I'm not expecting a prize for them.  I made these again last night to go with dinner and then left the house for a few hours.  While I was gone, my son at 3 of these rolls.  Then he had another one with dinner.  Later that night, he ate the last roll.  Five rolls!  That was like winning a first place ribbon to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment