Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fair Entries Part 1

The L.A. County Fair is opening this weekend and I submitted a few items into the food competitions.  One of my favorite entries was a loaf of Oatmeal Buttermilk Wheat Bread.  This recipe comes from Annie's Eats.  I love Annie's recipes!  The bread is soft, has great flavor, and makes a great sandwich bread.

Annie's Eats Oatmeal Buttermilk Wheat Bread


I made two loaves of bread from this single recipe instead of just one this time.  If you make only one loaf, it will be enormous!
One of the ingredients for this bread is buttermilk.  I never keep fresh buttermilk on hand, so I made my own by adding a tablespoon of vinegar per cup of milk and let is sit on the counter for 5 minutes.  The substitution worked perfectly.

Oatmeal Buttermilk Wheat Bread

I usually make rolls with my bread instead of loaves, but since this was a Fair entry I went ahead and made 2 loaves.  One loaf went to the Fair and one stayed at home with us.  We made turkey and cheese sandwiches with this lovely bread and they were so delicious!  Even the crust was soft, unlike most of our bread bought at the store.
Probably the only drawback to homemade bread is that it doesn't stay fresh for very long.  I suppose I could refrigerate it or even freeze it, but I prefer to just make enough to last for a day or two and then make bread again when we want it.  

Turkey and Cheese Sandwich on Homemade Bread
Check back tomorrow for more of my Fair entries and see what happens when I try to make candy without having any idea of what it is actually supposed to look like.


No comments:

Post a Comment