Sunday, August 19, 2012

Week 2 of Lunches



Here is week 2 of my girls' school lunches.  I must say, it is a lot of work to prep these lunches for an entire week, but last week, as I put those lunches together in the morning, it was so quick and easy! Totally worth it.  Even if I am running late, I don't have to think about what to pack or how much time it is going to take to make sandwiches, etc.
So, this week they are getting:


  • Mini-Meatballs w/BBQ dipping sauce (I will pack them each a toothpick for easy dipping)
  • Honey Mustard Pretzals
  • Trail Mix (peanuts and M&Ms for Hannah.  Peanuts, raisins, and M&Ms for Laura)
  • Heart and Star shaped cheese.  (Colby Jack and Pepper Jack cheeses)
  • Red Grapes (frozen)
  • Fortune Cookies (1 each)
  • Frozen Juice Boxes (100% juice)

Lessons from last week: the frozen mixed fruit (grapes, strawberries, and pineapple) did not work so well.  As the fruit defrosted, the juice from the berries and pineapple mixed and made it taste strange.  This week I am freezing a single fruit: grapes.  
We still have temps in the 100's here, so I like to include a frozen water bottle, frozen fruit, and (this week) a frozen juice box.  This should keep the entire lunch at an acceptable temperature until lunch time.

Meatballs:

1+ lb of lean ground beef (15%)
2/3 c. Panko (except I forgot to buy this, so I used crushed Saltines)
1 egg
1 T. Lawrey's Seasoning Salt
1 t. ground pepper

Combine ingredients then shape into meatballs.  I used a scant tablespoon of the mixture to create each "mini" meatball.  Bake for about 10 minutes at 375 F degrees on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  



No comments:

Post a Comment