Sunday, August 12, 2012

Making a Week of Lunches (when it is hotter than it should ever be..)

This year, I am trying to improve the quality of my girls' school lunches.  They aren't picky eaters, but last year I gave them a sandwich, crackers, and a cookie.  Every. Day.  I am looking to make the lunches healthier and more interesting this year.
First, I needed to shop.  I purchased:


  • watermelon
  • pineapple (fresh)
  • green grapes
  • strawberries
  • pretzals 
  • Go-Gurt Naturals
I already had tortillas, turkey pastrami, and hummus at home.  It has been over 100 F degrees in our area for over a week now and I am concerned about the girls' lunches staying cool and fresh.  I also want them to be hydrated during a long school day.

I washed my watermelon and cut it into quarters.  I slide my knife between the flesh and rind on each corner and make a long cut.  When the cuts all connect, I use my knife to pry the watermelon off of the rind in one large quarter section.  I sliced each quarter into 1/2 inch thick slices and then used a small, heart-shaped cookie cutter to make cute shapes.  Each Zippy bag got 4 watermelon "hearts" and then went into the frig.
I twisted the top of my pineapple off and then skinned it and cut it into quarters.  I used my knife to cut the pointy edge off of each quarter, from top to bottom (the core).  Then I sliced the pineapple into bite sized pieces.  I washed the grapes and plucked them from the stems.  The strawberries were washed, hulled, and quartered.  These three fruits were placed together in a Zippy bag (5 grapes, 3 pieces of pineapple, and one quartered strawberry) and then frozen.  They will help keep the lunch cool and the fruit should still be cold when eaten at lunch time.  I don't think the watermelon would freeze well, so I left that in the refrigerator.
To make the Turkey Pastrami Roll Ups, I spread a tortilla with hummus, laid down 3 small slices of pastrami, and added a little mustard, then rolled it up tightly and cut each one in half.  Each baggy got 1/2 of a roll up.  My daughter, Hannah, doesn't care for hummus on her rolls ups, so I just put mustard and pastrami on hers and then she added a tiny star sticker to each baggy that doesn't have hummus.  When I pack the lunches in the morning, those stickers will come in handy.
The pretzals were easy.  I just put a handful into a baggy and then put them away in the cupboard.
I put the box of Go-Gurts in the freezer and they are ready to be packed into lunches.

Each girl will have a frozen water bottle, a frozen Go-Gurt, a frozen bag of mixed fruit, a Turkey Pastrami roll up, heart shaped watermelon pieces, and a bag of pretzals.  

Hannah said to me, "Mommy, that watermelon reminds me of love because you cut it into hearts."  That is exactly how I hoped she would feel.


2 comments: